“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

To-Do Tuesday #38

 My 38th week of linking to Home Sewn By Us for To-Do Tuesday

Here is the list from last week

To-Do Tuesday week of September 29 through October 5:
  1. FMQ     Angela Walters has a new class on YouTube about using rulers ✅
  2. Apple Crisp blocks ✅
  3. start another Kawandi quilt ✅
I started another Kawandi quilt and blogged about it in my last post.  I also did another Stitch Meditation and the photo is in the last post.  I worked on the Apple Crisp blocks taking paper off and sewing together.

FMQ photos 
first is my new Taj ruler to use with my ruler foot and this is the first time I used it.  Since I had the tulip section to do on this little practice mat I thought I would try this ruler.  I used the outside for the leaves and the inside for the petals.  I quilted with the design upside down..
then I used my BSR on my machine to add the rest of the stitching in this area and over to the right area to finish up the quilting on this mat.








I watched Angela Walters video on using straight ruler quilting.  I thought this music fabric would be a good one with lines being helpful.  As it turned out...two factors I will change when practicing....use a different color thread so I can see better where I am going.  AND a different fabric.  Another thing...I need a different ruler that has dark lines to see the places to stop and turn when backstitching to the next row.  
Next time....pay close attention so I don't go past the line to stop!  You can see the stitching better on the back on the batting.  I was surprised when I turned it over to check as I thought I was doing my lines spacing better than that!!!

I am enjoying quilting with the ruler foot on my machine and really enjoy learning new things.  For anyone wondering if they should invest in a ruler foot and all the special rulers that you might need....I would say go for it!  It is a bit of a learning curve.......to hold the ruler next to the ruler foot...move the fabric...keep the stitches fairly even....watch the points on the fabric to stop....hold the ruler where it needs to be on the fabric....and practice all of these things often!!  Yes.....it is really fun!!

My plans for this next week are to do more FMQing and order the Slim straight ruler that Angela uses.  I will be watching more FMQ videos.  Also start quilting on one of my quilts after I find backing for them.

I am linking to Roseanne's   

and to Rebecca Grace's 

Also linking to Free Motion Mavericks

Be sure to check these sites for fun inspiration

Smiles and hugs....Caryl


10 comments:

  1. Hi Caryl! I have been watching Angela's new videos on FMQ with rulers. I definitely need to practice more using them. I have that same straight/curved ruler by Sew Steady (?? maybe??). I have found that the number of reference lines on the ruler are crucial for me to be successful using them. Also, I didn't know that you should just stitch on the ruler as far as your fingertips. That may explain why I get varying degrees of success as the ruler gets away from my hand. I think your straight lines look great as do your tulips. Thanks for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roeseanne...a lot of reference lines on a ruler are so helpful. We are so lucky to have so many people that want to help others with FMQ with all the videos!!

      Delete
  2. Caryl, I love how you used your Taj ruler to quilt your tulips and leaves!! Your straight lines really DO look good. On a real quilt, especially with a print fabric and blending thread, you would not see the inconsistencies that jump out at you when you scrutinize your solid backing after quilting. Solid fabric is the best for showing off amazing show quilting, but also the best at showing EVERY little "opportunity for improvement." As for help with the straight lines: I've tried several different rulers and the ones from Lisa Calle are my favorites because of all the reference lines she includes. I've taken classes with Lisa and she HATES having to mark quilts, so her rulers are designed with more reference marking lines than other ones I've tried. So not only is there a line to measure spacing from the last line you stitched, but also a line at a 90 degree angle and a 45 degree angle. I have been surprised -- happily! -- that there always seems to be a reference line etched into my ruler that I can line up with either a previous stitching line or a seam line in my piecing. She also has a really cool set of rulers for evenly spaced straight lines that might help you. You're actually stitching inside a channel in the middle of the ruler and the channel width keeps your spacing the same from one row to the next, without marking. It's hard to explain, but her video is very clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5mgRFKgfU. But like I said, I think what you've shown today looks really good and it will only get better! Another idea is that you could add some Glo-Line tape to your existing ruler to make it easier to see the lines you want to line up on your quilting. You're doing great! And thanks for linking up with Long Arm Learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca Grace.....thanks for your nice comments...and thanks for the info and video about Lisa Calle rulers! Wow....looks like fun to use. For now I have gotten Angela's Slim ruler. It has the reference points I needed and I have enjoyed using it. I appreciate your help.

      Delete
  3. I was watching Angela's videos also just to make sure I didn't miss out on any new design ideas for longarming. I love how you did the tulips, good job! If you really want to see your work as you practice use a solid color fabric:) Could you mark with a sharpie on your ruler where you need to stop so you can see it better? Keep on practicing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki....I did get the Slim ruler and it works so much better for me. The other one had an arc on it so not very many reference points. AND I have started using a solid fabric to practice...thanks for the reminder. Thanks for your info!

      Delete
  4. I think you are doing great! I have the Taj ruler too and haven't used it on anything but samples. I love how you used it with the tulips! Wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila...I like how it turned out too...just trying out the Taj ruler on my practice piece!! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. Hello Caryl,
    Lovely quilting on the tulips! They really stand out. As for quilting on a busy print, yes, that can be really difficult, even when quilting a relatively simple design. I think the straight line quilting looks absolutely fine on the back.
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muv...thanks for your comments. Quilting with rulers is so much fun....but soooo different than FMQ with my stitch regulator!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!