“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Friday, August 5, 2016

D9P mug rug tutorial

Step by step instructions for a cute little mug rug that is so fun to make.....
These are specific directions for this mug rug.
 Make a 9 patch block.....using jelly roll strips...sew groups of 3 strips x 3....
OR if you are making just one mug rug use 2½" squares...

I made sure to have darker fabrics on the corners and a plain red in the center...
And lighter colors in the centers of each side.
 Cut the 9 patch down the center each way to make 4 blocks........
 This is the arrangement I chose for this block but you can arrange it any way that you like....
Place the batting behind the block and do FMQ with words and loops and hearts...
Stitch close to the edge of the block where the opening is going to be so the seam doesn't unravel when you are turning it.
Use a light box to mark the edge of the block on the batting with Frixion pen.
Put right sides together and stitch 1/4" away from the mark and leave about a 2" opening.
Trim away the extra batting and trim the corners.
Pull through the opening and poke out the corners.

 Put glue on the seams in the opening to hold them together and press the seam all around.
Then top stitch close to the edge.

I made this last month specifically for an online friend that makes Christmas gifts all year.
I wrote on the back - Queen of Christmas Countdown.

Several years ago I made some that were very similar to this one.  Let me know if you make any of these following my tutorial.

Linking to Linky Tuesday Freemotion by the River

Smiles and hugs....Caryl

4 comments:

  1. You do very nice work---my quilts are way more amateur. I would like to add you to the Lost of Blogs I read (posted on my blog side bar)--let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlene....I would like to see your quilts...I bet they are great!
      AND go ahead and add me to your blog list on your blog.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!