“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pink & Zebra Mug Rug with a Stamped Flower

 I really like little mug rugs but I haven't made one in a long time until this week....
I used some scraps from a quilt I made and a flower (CL375) I had stamped on fabric and stitched with batting behind it...
 I started with the left top side and the bottom right first...
I liked the larger zebra stripe under the flower and decided to balance it with a square on the bottom left corner......
I did a small #4 stitch around the flower outside and around the inside circle...
To put this together I layed down the back fabric wrong side up...
then I used fleece and then the mug rug top....
I brought the backing fabric to the front for a self binding and used #332 stitch....
I had used that stitch in a mug rug Dec 2010 and it worked for that one...
But for this one I think it would have looked better if I had chosen a stitch that stayed on top of the binding....
I used Smooch sassy pink for the flower but it is not waterproof....
Soooo next time I make one I will probably use paintstix after stitching the design....

There are a lot of mug rugs on the internet on pinterest, flickr, etc....
I just joined a group on flickr called Scrappy Mug Rug Gallery...
they have 859 members and over 5,000 photos...
Be sure and check it out for a LOT of inspiration!

I finally have a finish to link to finish it Friday and Link a Finish Friday...
Smiles and hugs....Caryl

5 comments:

  1. This is really cool!! I just finished up some baby gifts using pink and black and zebra. I have to wait for the mom to have her baby and give them to her before I put them on my blog though. This baby is over a week late already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I have a request for 4 mug rugs.... this gives me an idea for something different. I made some last year - all very scrappy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project. Love all the different techniques you used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I like how your quilting adds to the design.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!