“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Disappearing Jelly Roll tutorial

 Are you looking for a project to use up some jelly roll pieces?
This is a tutorial and a story of how this quilt came about!!
Last weekend I was making a charm box mini quilt....very similar to the one I made last summer that was smaller...It is a pattern from Fat Quarter Shop....

AND I got an idea to use jelly roll strips.....so I started another project!
 I dug in my scraps and used 9 jelly roll strips, each about 17" long, and sewed them together...
I  put the zigzag strips at the 1st 5th and 9th positions....no particular reason, just balancing the look...
Then I cut down the center of every other strip starting with the first strip...
The above photo just shows the start of cutting one group....
Then I cut each of the 4 groups every 4" using my Stripology ruler....so I had 4" squares...
My idea was to use these 4" blocks and mix them with strips and squares.

BUT I started putting them in an alternating pattern and before long there was a pleasing pattern!
AND I ended up with a 14½" square miniquilt top!  Now to quilt it and bind it....
Smiles and hugs....Caryl

4 comments:

  1. Cool quilt. Easy and looks very scrappy, great for a child or an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I like it, and I have accumulated a lot of jelly rolls, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!