“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Disappearing Jelly Roll tutorial

 Are you looking for a project to use up some jelly roll pieces?
This is a tutorial and a story of how this quilt came about!!
Last weekend I was making a charm box mini quilt....very similar to the one I made last summer that was smaller...It is a pattern from Fat Quarter Shop....

AND I got an idea to use jelly roll strips.....so I started another project!
 I dug in my scraps and used 9 jelly roll strips, each about 17" long, and sewed them together...
I  put the zigzag strips at the 1st 5th and 9th positions....no particular reason, just balancing the look...
Then I cut down the center of every other strip starting with the first strip...
The above photo just shows the start of cutting one group....
Then I cut each of the 4 groups every 4" using my Stripology ruler....so I had 4" squares...
My idea was to use these 4" blocks and mix them with strips and squares.

BUT I started putting them in an alternating pattern and before long there was a pleasing pattern!
AND I ended up with a 14½" square miniquilt top!  Now to quilt it and bind it....
Smiles and hugs....Caryl

6 comments:

  1. Cool quilt. Easy and looks very scrappy, great for a child or an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I like it, and I have accumulated a lot of jelly rolls, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this pattern! I found your via Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching link this past Sunday and followed your posts to here! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miaismine......I made another later and blogged about it too. There are probably a lot of different ways to put the blocks after chopping them up like I did for this...and very easy to make!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!