“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Friday, October 31, 2014

Traffic Jam Placemats and bookmarks

 I finally finished all of the four placemats.  I have been working on these for awhile and have photos on instagram from weeks ago when I started these.
I had four blocks I was going to use for a "traffic jam" quilt...a free pattern by Pat Sloan.
I changed my mind and decided to make placemats instead and use the batik squares for making scrappycrossroads blocks.
I put Pat Sloan's Eat Your Fruits 'n Veggies fabric on the sides of the traffic jam blocks to make them placemat size.
Then I did some applique, quilting and have slowly been working on finishing them.
 Earlier this week I was looking for something that I could just sew.  I had the walking foot on my machine and had some batting pieces trimmed from a previous quilt.  I had some 1½" strips left from another project I am working on.....so let's sew!
 Here are the strips sewn to the batting pieces before I cut them apart.
 I used a narrow batting piece as a leader and ender to sew the other three!
 Here they are finished and at different sizes depending on the batting strips!!
And here are the backs.  I guess they will be bookmarks!
Smiles and hugs....Caryl

I am linking to finish it Friday and Link a Finish Friday

4 comments:

  1. Great use of those blocks! I still have a stack of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great use of the blocks! I just this week finished my Traffic Jam blocks. I made 20 of them so I think I will be finishing it as a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your placemats and such a great idea for bookmarks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!