“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Saturday, June 11, 2011

charm squares 4 fun


Last month Moda Bake Shop had a tutorial for using charm squares here
and I like to try new ways to use charm squares....
so I made 30 4-patch blocks...

here is how I did it....
put right sides together of two charm squares...
sew on the right side and on the left side...
with the seams on the right and left cut down the middle...

press seams open and put right sides together....
be sure to mix up the patterns for a variety of blocks...
with the seams going left/right sew on right side and on the left side...

cut down the middle with the seams on left and right...
press seams open and you have a 4-patch....

I sewed 9 4-patch blocks together...
this made a 12 1/2" block...

I used some red from a jelly roll for the borders...
I used 12 days of Christmas by Kate Spain for this top...

I discovered with this process that I don't like to press seams open...
and I much prefer my method I used for my fall essence tabletopper...
but it is fun to try new methods...

AND...I am glad I also have a layer cake in this same fabric line...
there is a quilt along that I have joined....
Smiles and hugs....Caryl

2 comments:

  1. I hate pressing seams open, too, but there are times I feel it's necessary. What a fun way to work with the charms, Caryl....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to try that! Looks like it is fast and fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!