“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Monday, August 10, 2020

Yellow Brick Road finished!

 This post is full of photos...of this quilt I just finished!

The first photo is being held and the second one is laying on the concrete.

This pattern is by Terry Atkinson of Atkinson Designs

I started it Januarry 21, 2014 and have blogged about it.  I had bought a 6 fat quarter bundle several years before I started this quilt.  I blogged about it 1/25/14 and then again 2/01/14, 2/08/14 and 6/27/14.  At that time it was a quilt top and it hung on my quilt rack for years as I did other quilts.

Then this year I decided I needed to finish it.  I used Diagonal Dots for the backing.  There are photos in 2/25/20 post of the start of FMQ.  I used designs by Lori Kennedy mostly.  The designs I used are flower power, Claire's peony, Faye's flower, Easy Peasy.  I also used wiggles, loops, heart leaves and spirals and meanders.  The first border I used lazy 8 Christina Cameli.  The outer border is #4 serpentine stitch on my machine 2.5 x 2.5.

The other blog posts with photos from this year 6/30, 7/14, 7/19 and 7/21.

Here are photos I took all over the quilt...starting at the top left and down and all around.  Since these photos are on my phone and then in my computer....they do go away....but this blog is where I can come to see them if they are gone other places!!









And the last photo is with a corner turned over to see the back.

It feels good to have this done....I had thought about giving it as a gift....but it has practice FMQ...but then that is what I usually call all my FMQ as it is hard to get it to look perfect.  OH that's right....I forgot I gave up being perfect and I am now striving to be perfectly imperfect!!!

Rebecca Grace has started a linky party and this is the second week.  She has invited me to join.

http://cheekycognoscenti.blogspot.com/2020/08/lal2-one-where-thoroughly-modern-millie.html

Be sure to check out the other posts......so many very interesting blogs to check!

AND I am also linking with Free Motion Mavericks

http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.com/2020/08/free-motion-mavericks-week-293-another.html

Be sure to check their posts also.....it is so fun to see what everyone else is doing!

Smiles and hugs....Caryl

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with Long Arm Learning, Caryl! 2014, huh? This one has been a long time in the making (says the girl who has three quilt tops of her own from 2014 waiting to be quilted, plus another one from 2013)! It must feel great to have it finished. I love your cheerful, sunny fabric mix. Your wishbone quilting in the yellow border looks so nice and even -- I struggle with that one myself. You have so many great quilting designs used in this quilt that it will be nice to have as a reference, for when you're trying to decide what to quilt on another quilt. Congrats on your long-awaited finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much....and I really enjoy looking at all the great quilts on the link!!

      Delete
  2. I love the YBR pattern! And yours is so sunny in yellow, black and white flowers!!! Great job on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much....I always have a struggle on what to quilt...a variety works good!

      Delete
  3. Lovely quilt, so nice you got it finished! I love that you did all that quilting yourself, it looks great. Do you have a longarm quilting machine? I am afraid to try free motion quilting. Yellow Brick road is such a nice pattern. I lent mine to a friend last year, but i'm hoping to get it back and make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen....no I don't have a long arm...just my regular Bernina. The link is for all machine quilting. It is so fun to do FMQ....it just takes practice and just do it!! I would also like to make another one...it is a fun design to do.

      Delete
  4. It came out so pretty! I love those pops of yellow! And that binding! How precious is that?! Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much....I am very glad to have it finished! I enjoyed the whole process...........picking out the fabrics, sewing, quilting and the binding!!

      Delete
  5. Hello Caryl,
    Congratulations on the finish! Such an amazing combination of florals. Keeping your concentration for the quilting must have been quite a challenge - I know that I would have soon lost my way quilting such bold prints.
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Muv. I will try to plan my designs better by looking at the prints....this was tedious and sometimes overlapped stitches in the flower designs because I lost track of the stitching!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!