“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

quilting log cabin runner

 Here is a photo of about half of the runner quilted.  I changed to a different pattern for the center blocks using the ruler foot.  I was using the walking foot for the quilting on the end blocks.

Yikes....I should have done some practice pieces first!  That is what all FMQ teachers say.....always practice before going to your piece to FMQ.  My thinking when I switched to a different design for the center blocks was that using the ruler foot would  be easier............WRONG..... 

I was constantly turning the runner with the walking foot quilting so using the ruler foot would eliminate all the quilt turning.   BUT........Quilting going forward and backward work better for me than sideways quilting.


I am not going to publish a to-do list for the rest of this month.  March Madness is here!!

This last week I did part of my goals.  1. The runner above half of quilting done.  2. I don't have all of my fabrics for the Spiral Lone Star quilt along.  AND I may change my mind anyway....so no fabric prep.  3. I am about half done with the improv runner for the top of the file cabinet. 

Wondering.....do you do swatches of colors when you get new paints, pens, pencils, crayons?
Here is a photo of my new purchase that I have wanted for a long time.  I have started a swatch page of the colors.  I included some of my other swatch papers in the photo.  



Here is a photo of all the colors



I am slowly working on my kawandi runner....a little bit every day.  I am in no hurry...just enjoying the process of stitching.  

The NCAA BB tournament is so exciting every year!  AND since it was cancelled last year and our team didn't get to play.....it means so much more for out team to be able to go this year.  

Last week for the Mountain West tournament we watched all 10 games Wednesday through Saturday!

Go Aztecs!!  I will be watching as many games as possible for the tournament! 

linking to Free Motion Mavericks


Smiles and hugs....Caryl


6 comments:

  1. OH how pretty! The quilting just makes the quilt, don't you think? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie....yes it does make the quilt. AND I usually don't have a clue how I will quilt each quilt until I get the flimsy done!!

      Delete
  2. Your runner is looking terrific!
    I have that same set of Neocolors. I don’t use them as often as I would like. Sometimes there are just too many supplies! I don’t have a color swatch of these crayons but I think I might need one. Maybe I would use them more getting them to the forefront of my mind. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie...thanks. Subject of supplies....so many I want to use more and just need to make a plan to use them! I have my private creative happening workshop group on FB that I started for that purpose...to use my supplies and quickly show what I am working on and hope to inspire others....and for me to get inspired by what others share!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Carol, I just took a ruler course today. I'm not sure that it's easier than the walking foot or just plain free motion quilting. I do like the accuracy...when I get it right :-) I was also reminded that my sewing machine does not quilt from right to left. There's no buts about it! Broken threads until I just went from left to right...and then all was fine again. Anyway I see a lot more practice in my future. Good luck with your log cabin. It really looks great so far. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andree...the ruler foot is definitely a challenge....so many things to think about as you quilt! My hardest is to keep the ruler next to the foot....then keep a steady stitch....then hold the ruler straight...yup there are a lot of hard things about it! I love the walking foot but I don't like keep turning the quilt and straightening everything constantly. BUT I know it takes practice and more practice. It is definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!