“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Scrappy picnic quilt blocks

 Visual tutorial (and a few written ideas) on how I put the made up blocks together...
               (the numbers are the number of seams in each group)
***sew 2 fabric pieces together OR a long strip with small pieces added in a chain
***I turned each piece and straightened the sides and added another piece
***I kept adding pieces of fabric sort of like log cabin blocks most of the time
***sometimes instead of one strip...I added a strip that was several pieces (#5)            
 The size of the blocks vary a lot depending on the size of each piece...(#7 two different blocks)
 I trimmed them to 4½" blocks and combined some of these blocks with the 16-patch blocks I made..
I explained how I made the 16 patch blocks  on this blog post
 Most of the quilt has 4½" 16 patch blocks and here are 2 of the 4½" blocks together...
showing the back to show the pressing (the center seam is not pressed in this photo)
I made 8½" blocks from the 4 4½" blocks and then sewed into rows and rows together.
There are 30 8½" blocks in this quilt.

Now I will figure out how to quilt it and I might not bind it....haven't decided for sure!
I had fun making these made up blocks and the 16 patch blocks.....
and ask if any questions about this process.

There are a lot of ways to do improv blocks and now I will switch to following along with
crazy mom quilts scrap vortex QAL.  She posted week #3 yesterday.

One thing for sure I will jump back and forth between lots of projects....
I have lots of interests and am having lots of fun!!

Smiles and hugs....Caryl

Linking to Connie Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River

3 comments:

  1. wow that's a lot of scraps there!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love how this quilt turned out- great use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!