“Friendship, love, health, energy, enthusiasm, and joy
are the things that make life worth living and exploring.” ~ Denise Austin

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

 I had a glorious time this afternoon sitting on my patio and stitching on my Kawandi mug rug.



I used a different procedure on this Kawandi.  Here is how I did it:

  I started the mug rug by doing a zig zag stitch on my machine on the outside edge.  Lay the backing right side down, then the batting  then the top fabrics.  I used a jelly roll.  The way I did it was to hang the first strip off the edge and fold the edge of the backing over the batting and the jelly roll raw edge on top.  Start zig zagging and each new piece of jelly roll I folded the edge under.  When I got back to the beginning I folded under the first piece and stitched back to the corner.  It is a very fun and fast way to get a Kawandi style quilt started.  The rest is all hand stitching around and around.  I really really enjoy this type of hand stitching...........perfectly imperfect!  

This last week I have been going through scraps of fabric and sorting in piles according to size.  I stitched various scrap sizes on a muslin base starting with a 5-sided center piece.  The following photos are the first before trimming and the second trimmed to 9".



I am linking to Kathy's Quilts Slow Sunday Stitching

Smiles and hugs....Caryl

6 comments:

  1. Your Kawandi mug rug is fabulous! Such pretty fabrics and lovely hand stitching. I love sorting through scraps. You never know what you'll find, do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You....I do like using scraps of fabric and have started sorting by approximate size and not cutting predetermined sizes. I like the improv style these days! Your hydrangea quilt is just so gorgeous. I commented on your site but not sure it posted.

      Delete
  2. Your Kawandi mug rug is lovely! It caught my eye at Kathy’s Quilts. Beautiful weather you’re having! Lovely geraniums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...we are so lucky to have nice weather most of the time. I like to take advantage of being on the patio and stitching!

      Delete
  3. Love your Kawandi mug rug! Beautiful hand stitching, and the perfect fabrics.
    Barbara of TheFlashingScissors.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My favorite style these days.
      I love the stitching on your pouches on your blog!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!!